- 1 Features
- 2 Features by Platform
- 3 Main Features (Desktop version)
- 4 Highlights
- 4.1 Parallel Calculation Engine
- 4.2 Binary VLE/LLE/SLE Data Regression
- 4.3 CAPE-OPEN Property Package Socket
- 4.4 CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation Socket
- 4.5 DWSIM as a CAPE-OPEN Property Package Manager
- 4.6 IronPython Script CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation
- 4.7 Component List
- 4.8 Component Databases
- 4.9 Thermodynamic Models
- 4.10 Flash Algorithms
- 4.11 Property Calculations
- 4.12 Process Analysis
- 4.13 Multivariate Optimization
- 4.14 Command Line Run Mode
- 4.15 Utilities
- 4.16 Units System
- 4.17 Flowsheet Drawing Surface
- 4.18 Dockable Windows
- 4.19 Object Palette
- 4.20 Reports
- 4.21 Spreadsheet
- <a href="#Features_by_Platform">1 Features by Platform</a>
- <a href="#Main_Features_.28Desktop_version.29">2 Main Features (Desktop version)</a>
- <a href="#Highlights">3 Highlights</a>
- <a href="#Parallel_Calculation_Engine">3.1 Parallel Calculation Engine</a>
- <a href="#Binary_VLE.2FLLE.2FSLE_Data_Regression">3.2 Binary VLE/LLE/SLE Data Regression</a>
- <a href="#CAPE-OPEN_Property_Package_Socket">3.3 CAPE-OPEN Property Package Socket</a>
- <a href="#CAPE-OPEN_Unit_Operation_Socket">3.4 CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation Socket</a>
- <a href="#DWSIM_as_a_CAPE-OPEN_Property_Package_Manager">3.5 DWSIM as a CAPE-OPEN Property Package Manager</a>
- <a href="#IronPython_Script_CAPE-OPEN_Unit_Operation">3.6 IronPython Script CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation</a>
- <a href="#Component_List">3.7 Component List</a>
- <a href="#Component_Databases">3.8 Component Databases</a>
- <a href="#Thermodynamic_Models">3.9 Thermodynamic Models</a>
- <a href="#Flash_Algorithms">3.10 Flash Algorithms</a>
- <a href="#Property_Calculations">3.11 Property Calculations</a>
- <a href="#Process_Analysis">3.12 Process Analysis</a>
- <a href="#Multivariate_Optimization">3.13 Multivariate Optimization</a>
- <a href="#Command_Line_Run_Mode">3.14 Command Line Run Mode</a>
- <a href="#Utilities">3.15 Utilities</a>
- <a href="#Units_System">3.16 Units System</a>
- <a href="#Flowsheet_Drawing_Surface">3.17 Flowsheet Drawing Surface</a>
- <a href="#Dockable_Windows">3.18 Dockable Windows</a>
- <a href="#Object_Palette">3.19 Object Palette</a>
- <a href="#Reports">3.20 Reports</a>
- <a href="#Spreadsheet">3.21 Spreadsheet</a>
Features by Platform
See <a href="/wiki/index.php?title=Features_by_Platform" title="Features by Platform">Features by Platform</a>.
Main Features (Desktop version)
From version 4.1 onwards, DWSIM is able to simulate steady-state vapor-liquid, vapor-liquid-liquid, solid-liquid and aqueous electrolyte equilibrium processes with the following Thermodynamic Models and Unit Operations:
- Thermodynamic Models: Peng-Robinson, Peng-Robinson-Stryjek-Vera 2, Soave-Redlich-Kwong, Lee-Kesler, Lee-Kesler-Plöcker, UNIFAC(-LL), Modified UNIFAC (Dortmund), UNIQUAC, NRTL, COSMO-SAC, Chao-Seader, Grayson-Streed, LIQUAC*, Extended UNIQUAC, Raoult's Law, IAPWS-97 Steam Tables, IAPWS-08 Seawater, Black-Oil and Sour Water.
- Unit Operations: CAPE-OPEN Socket, Mixer, Splitter, Separator, Pump, Compressor, Expander, Heater, Cooler, Valve, Pipe Segment, Shortcut Column, Heat Exchanger, Reactors (Conversion, PFR, CSTR, Equilibrium and Gibbs), Distillation Column, Simple, Refluxed and Reboiled Absorbers, Component Separator, Orifice Plate, Solids Separator, Continuous Cake Filter; Excel, Script and Flowsheet Unit Operations.
- Utilities: Phase Envelope, Natural Gas Hydrates, Pure Component Properties, True Critical Point, PSV Sizing, Vessel Sizing, Spreadsheet and Petroleum Cold Flow Properties.
- Tools: Compound Creator, Bulk C7+/Distillation Curves Petroleum Characterization, Petroleum Assay Manager, Reactions Manager.
- Process Analysis and Optimization: Sensitivity Analysis Utility, Multivariate Optimizer with bound constraints.
- Extras: Binary VLE/LLE/SLE Data Regression, Support for Runtime Scripts, Plugins and CAPE-OPEN Flowsheet Monitoring Objects.
Parallel Calculation Engine
DWSIM maximizes the utilization of your computer's full processing power through the new <a href="/wiki/index.php?title=Parallel_calculation_options_in_DWSIM_3" title="Parallel calculation options in DWSIM 3">parallel calculation engine</a>, supporting multicore processors and CUDA/OpenCL GPUs for drammatic gains in calculation times.
Binary VLE/LLE/SLE Data Regression
The Data Regression Utility supports regression of experimental binary data for determination of interaction parameters for PC-SAFT, PR, PRSV2, SRK, UNIQUAC, NRTL and LKP models.
VLE Pxy/Txy, LLE Txx and SLE TTx data sets are supported. The Data Regression Utility also possesses some handy aditional features like calculation of initial values for the binaries using UNIFAC/MODFAC structure information and calculation of missing experimental data using known models/binaries for determination of parameters for other models.
CAPE-OPEN Property Package Socket
DWSIM now supports loading of external CAPE-OPEN thermodynamic equilibrium and property calculators. Integration is done transparently and the user only has to map PP‟s components and phases to internal DWSIM ones.
CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation Socket
CAPE-OPEN Unit Operations can be added to DWSIM flowsheets and connected to/from energy and material streams just as normal DWSIM Unit Operations. DWSIM also implements the CAPE-OPEN Reaction interfaces so you can use your CO Reactor together with DWSIM and manage your reactions using the Reactions Manager as usual.
DWSIM as a CAPE-OPEN Property Package Manager
DWSIM exposes its Property Packages to CAPE-OPEN Thermo 1.1 compliant simulators. All property and equilibrium models are available, including the newest VLLE Flash Algorithm.
IronPython Script CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation
The Custom Unit Operation in DWSIM is exposed to CAPE-OPEN compliant simulators as “IronPython Script Unit Operation”. You can download an example of the Script UO being used to model a simple membrane separation process in COCO/COFE <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/dwsim/files/DWSIM/DWSIM%202.0/IronPython%20Script%20Membrane%20CAPE-OPEN%20Unit%20Operation.fsd/download">here</a>.
Chemical substances (components) can be added to or removed from the simulation with just a mouse click. The search capability makes it easier to find a component among the 400 which are included in the default installation of DWSIM.
DWSIM supports loading of user databases (sets of user-defined components) - these components become available for all simulations, not only the ones on which they were created. There is also support for loading the ChemSep LITE database, which includes more than 200 components with all the data need by DWSIM and its thermodynamic models.
DWSIM includes the most common thermodynamic models in the industry, covering everything related to vapor-liquid equilibria - from hydrocarbon mixtures using Equations of State to highly non-ideal azeotropic systems using Activity Coefficient models.
DWSIM includes a range of equilibrium flash algorithms that can solve equilibrium problems from common VLE to the more complicated VLLE/SLE systems.
The most important phase/mixture properties like viscosity, thermal conductivity, density and heat capacity are either calculated from experimental data or estimated with the help of proven methods/models - meaning that you'll always have a value for your property.
You can perform sensitivity analysis on your simulation by changing up to 2 variables and seeing how another 3rd variable reacts to these changes. The changes in variables are defined by a value range and a number of equally spaced points within this range.
The new Optimizer in DWSIM handles single and multivariate optimization problems with or without bound constraints. The objective function can be either a variable in the flowsheet or an expression as a function of as many variables as you need.
Command Line Run Mode
DWSIM can also run in command line run mode. This can be useful if you want to optimize your simulation using external tools.
DWSIM includes a set of utilities to do special calculations, like Natural Gas Hydrate calculations or Phase Envelopes.
The user can select one of the most common units systems (SI, CGS or English) or create a new one, with a set of personalized units.
Flowsheet Drawing Surface
The Process Flowsheet Drawing Surface contains all the required features in order to completely define Streams, Unit Operations and how they are connected to each other. Features like zooming, panning, object rotation and cloning help on productivity. Property tables can also be shown, just like in Aspen HYSYS.
All windows inside the main simulation interface can be freely positioned/docked wherever the user wants. They can also float over the interface or auto-hide according to the mouse cursor movement.
The Object Palette can be used to add objects to the flowsheet by simply dragging and dropping the icons into the desired location.
DWSIM can generate detailed reports of all Material Streams' properties, of all present phases. These reports can be printed or exported to a Excel spreadsheet.
The spreadsheet implemented in DWSIM allows quick calculations involving the properties of the objects in a simulation. All values are updated every time the flowsheet is recalculated.