DWSIM is an open-source CAPE-OPEN compliant chemical process simulator for Windows, Linux and OS X. Built on the top of the Microsoft .NET 4.0 and Mono Platforms and featuring a rich Graphical User Interface (GUI), DWSIM allows chemical engineering students and chemical engineers to better understand the behavior of their chemical systems by using rigorous thermodynamic and unit operations' models with no cost at all. Since DWSIM is open source, they can see how the calculations are actually being done by inspecting the code behind during execution using free tools available elsewhere.
DWSIM has an easy-to-use graphical interface with many of the features present in commercial simulators:
- CAPE-OPEN features: Thermo 1.0/1.1 Property Package Socket, Thermo 1.1 Property Package Server, Unit Operation Socket and Flowsheet Monitoring Object support. Additionally, DWSIM exposes its IronPython/IronRuby Script (Custom) Unit Operation for all CAPE-OPEN compliant simulators.
- Thermodynamic models: PC-SAFT, FPROPS, CoolProp, Peng-Robinson, Soave-Redlich-Kwong, Lee-Kesler, Lee-Kesler-Plöcker, UNIFAC, Modified UNIFAC (Dortmund), UNIQUAC, NRTL, COSMO-SAC, LIQUAC*, Extended UNIQUAC, Chao-Seader, Grayson-Streed and Ideal Gas;
- Unit Operations: Mixer, Splitter, Separator, Pump, Compressor, Expander, Heater, Cooler, Valve, Pipe Segment, Shortcut Column, Heat Exchanger, Reactors, Component Separator, Orifice Plate, Distillation/Absorption Columns, Solids Separator, Cake Filter, Excel, Script and Flowsheet Unit Operation;
- Utilities: Phase Envelope, Hydrate Calculations, Pure Component Properties, Critical Point, PSV Sizing, Vessel Sizing, Spreadsheet and Petroleum Cold Flow Properties;
- Tools: Binary Data Regression, Hypothetical Components Generator, Bulk C7+ and Distillation Curves Petroleum Characterization, Reactions Manager and Component Creator;
- Process Analysis: Multivariate Constrained Optimization and Sensitivity Analysis utility;
- Extras: Scripting System and Plugin Interface.
DWSIM's powerful Thermodynamics engine is also available as a standalone dynamic link library (DLL) that can be linked against proprietary applications. Click here for more details.
Latest Public Build: v3.4 5644
For detailed information about the release notes, system requirements and system-specific installation instructions, please go to the Downloads page.
Click here to browse the file repository in the SourceForge Project Page.
- Click here to see a list with all pages in this Wiki.
- Check the Features and FAQ pages for more information about DWSIM main features.
- The tutorials section contains links to videos and articles to help you with general DWSIM usage.
- If you have a bug to report, use the ticket system for DWSIM.
- If you are looking for some support on using DWSIM or have something to share with the other users, use one of the Forums available in the Sourceforge project page. Support is available in English and Brazilian Portuguese languages.
- You can also subscribe to the Mailing Lists as an alternative/complement to the Support Forums.
How to help
- DWSIM is currently developed and mantained by Daniel Medeiros and Gregor Reichert. Contact Daniel through this link if you want to give some additional help.
- You can always make a donation to this project. Even better, you can help the United Nations World Food Programme to fight hunger worldwide. I just ask you to let me know if you choose to do so. :-)